- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups dry brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup ½-inch cauliflower florets
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan bring vegetable stock to boiling. Add rice; reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes or until rice is toasted in places but still moist.
- Meanwhile, heat an extra-large skillet over medium-high. Add garlic; stir constantly to prevent sticking. Add mushrooms; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until the liquid released by the mushrooms is cooked off and mushrooms are browned. Transfer to the saucepan with the rice. Do not clean skillet.
- In the same skillet combine cauliflower, carrots, peas, and ¼ cup water. Cook over medium until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to the saucepan with the rice.
- Stir milk into the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes more or until risotto is creamy. Serve warm.